When is this holiday celebrated?
This holiday is celebrated annually on December 11 every year.
This holiday is recognized by the UN.
What type of holiday is this day?
How is this holiday celebrated?
International Mountain Day is a Day to recognize the vital role that mountains play in our lives, and the responsibility to protect our mountain environments.
The Mountain Day website states that "The holiday is primarily intended to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life, to highlight the opportunities and constraints in mountain development and to build partnerships that will bring positive change to the world's mountains and highlands." Official website: click here
Origin of this Holiday
Our research shows that the UN General Assembly designated December 11, from 2003 onwards, as 'International Mountain Day'. Site information says "This decision results from the success of the UN International Year of Mountains in 2002, which increased global awareness of the importance of mountains, stimulated the establishment of national committees in 78 countries and strengthened alliances through promoting the creation of the International Partnership for Sustainable Development in Mountain Regions, known as the 'Mountain Partnership (WSSD, Johannesburg, 2 September 2002). "FAO was the designated lead coordinating agency for International Year of Mountains and is mandated to lead observance of International Mountain Day."
We found reference to this holiday at ECard Greeting Sites
Mountains are precious to the ecosystem of the earth. International Mountain Day focuses on the need to preserve the biodiversity of the mountains. Send our special ecards to all your dear ones and gift them a mountain of joy and happiness ! Mountain Day ECard Greetings
- MountainPartnership.org: The Mountain Partnership is a voluntary alliance of partners dedicated to improving the lives of mountain people and protecting mountain environments around the world.
- Mountain biodiversity: "plays a key role in the support of global environmental, economic, social and cultural sectors through connections to; invasive species, air pollution, climate change, mining, hydropower, tourism, forests, agriculture." "Therefore the challenge is to sustainably manage mountain regions to avoid degradation and avoid subsequent increases in poverty and hunger."
- Express News: "Mountains occupy 22 per cent of the Earth's terrestrial surface, supply freshwater to nearly half the world's people and support a disproportionate amount of the planet's biodiversity."
Other December Holidays around the world
How can I Celebrate this holiday?
- Take Care of our Mountains! - See what you can do to help.
- Blog with us about it! - We have a blog called "Everyday is a Holiday" so visit our pages and talk with us about this holiday.
- Send Free E-Greeting! - If your ready to get together with your friends don't forget to invite them with these fun Internet Invitations.